Thursday, March 8, 2012

Monday, Week 2 - Travelers of the Heart

"Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation." (Psalm 25:5)

What I especially value about the process of spiritual growth is the way the Holy One guides me to expire the inner terrain of my being. Whenever I open the door of my heart and take the passage beyond where I am now, the wonder and richness of divine presence and the resilient beauty of my soul amaze me. As I age, I think I am getting better at deliberately opening the door and leaving the known, safe realms behind. With each threshold crossing, I gain greater freedom to be my most authentic self.
Each of us is a traveler at heart. As we traverse the road of life, we come to unknown and unsought doors revealing further truth about our authentic self. These unfamiliar doors of life hide pieces of beneficial wisdom. They contain information for our transformation even though we may not understand this for quite a while.
The experiences of life frequently divert us rather than bring us directly to our inner treasure, causing us to doubt their worth. Each step of the way holds another opportunity for knowing who we are and how we are to live.


This reflection offers an encouraging recognition - that those life experiences that don't seem to be providing much, if any, value, in fact can ultimately be the times that are most valuable to spiritual growth. Times of uncertainty, doubt, suffering... These are the times that push one to to take the necessary steps for growth. In my case, it's prayer, it's thought, it's pushing myself to think outside the box a little bit, it's managing the daily grind and knowing there's more to this time in my life than is readily apparent. I think that will always be the case. There will never be a time in my life that isn't in some way a vital component to the rest of my life.

1 comment: