"I keep the Lord always before me; because God is at my right hand, I shall not be moved" (Psalm 16:7).
When we pray, we cross a threshold into mystery. We enter openly, with an assurance that our life will continually take on the hue of the Holy One. In order to do this, we need quiet times, spaces in our day or evening when silence and solitude are given prominence in our schedule. Our culture does not promote this silence. On the contrary, we are constantly pulled this way and that by our overly active society. The electronic age seduces us with constant noise and frenetic, compulsive action. Only with steadfast determination will we create the space we need for daily, formal prayer.
When we slow down and allow for quiet spaces, there are fewer barriers between us and the Holy One. In stillness, we come face to face with what we might otherwise miss or avoid. As we give ourselves to periods of silence and solitude, we uncover more of the truth that guides our life and are able to relish the goodness of the Beloved dwelling within the beauty of our soul.
I have another confession to make. A lot of times, I neglect to take the opportunity to make the most of this Lenten project. The idea is supposed to encapture exactly what Sr. Joyce speaks of in this reflection. Silence, quiet time, a steadfast devotion to spending time in prayer. Yet what this has turned into is not always so. Sometimes I leave the TV on in the background. Other times I'm not really praying, but just trying to spew something into the blog window so I can say I kept up with the day. It's better than skipping, for sure, but I think I need to do a better job of intentionally praying throughout this process.
Tonight, though, I must catch up on sleep. I will surely take the opportunity to pray as I'm closing my eyes, but my consciousness won't last for long...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dad's favorite prayer is a short one: "Lord, Lord, Lord".
ReplyDelete