Monday, March 26, 2012

Saturday, Week 3 - Changed by Our Journey

"And all of us...are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord, the Spirit" (2 Corinthians 3:18).

    Every significant journey changes us in some way. We are hardly ever aware of this while we are in the midst of it. We may have hints of these changes but it is only later, in looking back, that we gasp in amazement at what was being formed and shaped in our lives. Only then do we recognize how a new attitude, a stronger dedication, and a fuller passion stretched us into the fullness of life. Then we are able to identify the journey's ability to propel us into unexpected growth.
    Unfortunately, our significant journeys can also alter us in negative ways we do not want. Sometimes we end up with greater disillusionment, deeper dissatisfaction, unending restlessness, frustrating confusion, or brittle patterns of disturbing anger and hostility. So much of what we learn from our noteworthy journeys depends on what we experience and how we go about responding.

    It is a scary truth to realize that we as human beings are vulnerable to real regression when it comes to our spirituality and satisfaction in life. Furthermore, that this regression, or progression, depends on us. What if I fail to respond healthily to adverse life events? What if I dig myself a hole so deep, I'll never manage to come out of it?
    Fortunately, I don't believe I've come across anything in life that has broken me down so much so that I am negatively affected by it for the long term. Like anyone else, of course, I've experienced some struggle in life, but I am confident that I have always managed to come out on the other side better off. Through some of my experiences, I have met some individuals whose hearts are truly hardened by their own past experiences. I am grateful to be able to say that my life has been joyous, but I believe this contrast places some sort of responsibility upon my shoulders.
    It is very easy for me to avoid thinking about the hardships that are faced by huge percentages of our world's population. There are times when I manage to face these thoughts, but these occasions come and go fleetingly. In this moment, I pray for strength to recognize, and act on, the hardships faced by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment