Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tuesday, Week 1 - Emptying to Grow

"God has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty" (Luke 1:53).

    While the process of emptying may be painful, it can also be growthful. The empty times may feel useless, fruitless, and non-productive, but they are actually a means of our falling into the "immense depths" within ourselves where we see more clearly, learn to be less controlling, long more deeply for God, and touch life with greater reverence and gratitude. We enter into the deep realm inside of us that is filled with th emystery, awe, and endless beauty of God. Emptiness is a gift that opens us further to the transforming power of God.
    Fasting from food or liquids is a way to physically deprive ourselves (to empty ourselves) of some of our fullness. It is one way of reminding ourselves of the need to be emptied form time to time. Bodily fasting can strengthen us for other kinds of emptying.
    This might be a day when you will choose to physically fast so that you can gain courage in letting your full cup be emptied when it is time to do so.

    The very first thing to strike me in tonight's daily reflection was the verse from Luke. Growing up in a Catholic environment, you hear this sort of thing all the time. In fact, for a long time, I'd daydream about what it would actually be like for a camel to squeeze through the eye of a needle! The reason this was especially notable to me tonight is that, for the first time in my life, I feel like the rich. I am both rich by many standards, as well as not rich by many standards, but in the grand scheme of our worldly perspective, I fall closer to the former.
    The idea of emptying myself, especially as it pertains to wealth, is admittedly uncomfortable. It is one thing to desire to live simply, to avoid making unnecessary purchases, and to focus on relationships and quality time in life. It is another altogether to empty oneself, taking this simple living to an extreme. I would say my level of simplicity at this time in my life is moderate, and I am cautious of how easy it would be to fall into the pleasing habit of consumerism. I hope that I can continue to move towards living more simply.

No comments:

Post a Comment