Well, I'm already two days behind in my reflections, so I better catch up! I'm going to try to spread this out today so I can give each reflection its due attention.
"Why do we fast, but You do not see? Why humble ourselves, but You do not notice?" (Isaiah 58:3).
Fasting can be a means of significant spiritual growth, but so much depends on why we do it.
What are some good motivations for fasting? One is to remember God's nearness. I get so busy that I lose my sense of God's presence sometimes. When I am hungry, there is an "aha" within that reminds me: "Listen to your hunger for God." Other times, I am too self-oriented, so I fast to deepen my awareness of my sisters and brothers who lack adequate food and drink. And sometimes I let fasting slow me down when I am zooming along too quickly. With less food, I eat slowly and savor more fully.
I encourage you this Lent to think about why you fast and to consider what you most need for spiritual growth. Perhaps each time you fast, it may be for a slightly different reason. Whatever you do, let your fasting draw you to the heart of God.
Just last year, I was turned on to the famous Friday Fish Fry's that happen all over Omaha every Lent. Every once in a while, I stop and think -- Is this why we're instructed not to eat meat on Fridays? To give us an excuse to throw a huge party and stuff our faces with fish? Now, I don't mean criticize the Fish Fry ritual that reels in (sorry for the pun) thousands of people per location. From what I understand, the money raised from this weekly event helps to keep many otherwise unsustainable and wholly beneficial programs... sustainable. And, it brings people who love people, together. That can't be bad.
But it does tend to make a mockery of the spirit of fasting. I try to be careful not to speak condescendingly, for I am as guilty of gluttony as anyone. I think the reflection offered by Sr. Joyce articulates a point so often overlooked by the Catholic community: Why do we fast? More broadly, why do we do anything we do? It is so important for us to understand and strive to feel the effect of the acts we do, especially regarding our faith, but also in all facets of our lives. And if we don't understand, or we just don't seem to feel it, I believe we should pray for the understanding or the ability to be affected spiritually by our own actions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment